Treasurer Isobel Tait outlines some ideas for how you can help raise funds for the memorial. The NMSMF’s website will be a major vehicle by which we hope to raise our target of £250,000.
This amount will have a two fold purpose:
- to erect a statue in Nelson Mandela Place; and, among other things,
- to increase the knowledge and understanding of the life and legacy of Nelson Mandela and his role in the struggle for freedom and human rights in South Africa.
Whilst our website might be the vehicle, our supporters will most definitely be the drivers throughout Scotland, the rest of the UK and the world. Already I can report donations from as far afield as Canada and of course South Africa.
At home, we have had donations from supporters in Inverness, Stirling, Edinburgh, Lanarkshire, Renfrewshire, East and West Dunbartonshire, the Lothians and many more from Glasgow.
Donations have been made through our website and our My Donate internet payment and Gift Aid system, either by computer or by text from mobile phones and cheques by post. Others who have donated are several trades union branches – UNISON and the FBU – and various individuals. To see the variety of ways you can donate, click here:
We are also in discussions with various organisations and institutions about how they might support the project and we would welcome others willing to assist.
Despite the encouraging response so far, we still have a long long way to go and we need our supporters’ and friends’ help to reach our aim.
Various suggestions for fund-raising events which supporters could organise themselves, could include:
- Coffee Morning
- Folk concert
- Charity Sports Events: – walking, jogging, running, swimming, cycling etc.,
- Quiz Night
- Race Night
- Football shoot out
- ‘Bake off’ cake sale
- Car Boot sale
- Sales on ebay
- Internet Blogs linked to our website
- Karaoke night
- Book Sale, and many more or
- just contact your friends and ask them to make a donation.